After reading the first part of the novel, I must say that I am really enjoying it. I was originally worried about joining the class more than a half week late, but catching up in regards to the reading has been very easy. The book is just such an easy and interesting read. It's very well composed and is so far very compelling.
The part of the novel that stuck out for me as I read the first section was centered on Sophie's character. As I finished the first part of the reading, I just kept reflecting on how impressive Sophie was as a young girl and young woman. Clearly she is meant to be the focus of the novel as the main character, but her intelligence and logic as a young child in the first part of the novel is so refreshing. She is so endearing and so knowledgeable. The scene where she attempts to give Tante Atie the Mother's Day card is a perfect example. As readers, we completely agree with Sophie's perspective. Sophie believes that Tante Atie should receive the Mother's Day card that she made because Tante Atie has acted in the capacity of Sophie's mother. Yet, Tante Attie refuses. She cites that the card should be given to Sophie's real mother. Yet, we as readers are able to see how smart Sophie is because we know that she is right. In this relational sense, Tante Attie is Sophie's mother. We become frustrated at the situation, as readers. Yet, Sophie, although frustrated as well, still handles the situation with great poise.
Events towards the end of the first section of the reading occur quickly. Sophie is now a new/young adult and attending college. She is falling in love, and at the end of the first section it seems quite obvious that she is going to run away with her new love interest. At first being so impressed with the strength of Sophie's character, I now can't help but have doubts about her decision. I worry what will happen in the next section, and I worry that the strength of her character will be tested. I look forward to finishing up the story!
No comments:
Post a Comment